Vermiculite is a hydrated magnesium aluminium silicate mineral, and can be found in various countries across the world. South Africa has some of the best Vermiculite deposits in the world. Vermiculite is noncarcinogenic and 100 % safe to use horticultural applications.
What sets our horticulture grade Vermiculite apart?
- Efficient exfoliation ensures lower density that in turn ensures more volume per Kg. This makes the product cost effective for the grower.
- Gas exfoliation prevents potential hydrocarbon poisoning of plants.
- Dust and gang free products.
BenefitsEnhances water holding capacity
- The addition of vermiculite to growing medium can greatly improve the ability of the medium to store water. As the water in the medium is absorbed by the roots, the vermiculite will slowly release the water and retain a moist environment.
- Vermiculite is extremely absorbent. Excess water in the growing medium may be absorbed which will reduce the likelihood of waterlogging.
- Vermiculite naturally reacts with soil compounds and becomes a source of silica and magnesium, small amounts of potassium. Vermiculite has an excellent cationexchange (CEC)
- This is great for naturally increasing the pH of your soil, works well with Peat moss as peat moss has a low pH
- Vermiculite can be used in hydroponics. The absorption properties of vermiculite decrease the amount of nutrients and water lost due to drainage as they are absorbed into the flaky vermiculite structure. This in turn reduces the frequency of irrigation.
- Vermiculite is useful as a seed covering during germination as it reduces the amount of water lost to evaporation from the growing medium.
- Free of pests and pathogens.
- Size: Medium – grade Vermiculite (exfoliated Vermiculite which is ultra-lightweight)
- pH: 8-9
- Water absorption: Approx. 250 %
Typical Particle Size
- +4.75mm: 15.5%
- 4.75 mm - 3.00 mm: 36.6%
- 3.00 mm - 2.00 mm: 34.6%
- 2.00 mm - 1.00 mm: 12.7%
- Pan: 0.6%
Typical Chemical Properties
- SiO2: 35 - 41%
- Al2O3: 6 - 10 %
- Fe2O3: 6 - 9.5 %
- K2O: 3 - 6 %
- Cl: 0 - 0.5 %
- MgO: 21.5 - 25.5 %
- P: 0.2 - 2 % CaO 2 - 6 %
- CO2: 0.6 - 2.5 %
- TiO2: 0.6 - 1.4 %
- F: 0.2 - 0.8 %
- Cr2O3: 0.01 - 0.10 %